Pikes Peak Children’s Museum (PPCM) is excited to announce the 1st Readathon fundraiser they will be hosting in February for 2 weeks! The event will be from Saturday, February 10th, 2018 to Saturday, February 24th, 2018. The event will be another fundraiser on the list of events in 2018 for the Pikes Peak Children’s Museum. This readathon will be done in collaboration with local business owner, Maria White, who is an independent consultant for USBORNE Books & More. If you are not familiar with USBORNE Books & More, please visit her WEBSITE to learn more!
The goal of the readathon is to read at least 300 minutes in a 2 week period. That is about 30 minutes a day. And it counts for reading whether you are being read to or you are reading your self. We are hoping to have at least 100 readers for our first attempt at this read-a-thon as a fundraiser!
The Read-A-Thon will be open to anyone that wants to help support the Pikes Peak Children’s Museum! So if you love to read and you would love to see a children’s museum in Colorado Springs, this is the fundraiser for you! PPCM also encourages you to join in on the festivities even if fundraising might intimidate you to join! Although PPCM would love for every participant to have a goal of at least $100 fundraised, PPCM wants to encourage a love for reading and get the city reading even more! The event will kick off with a live event at the Penrose Library!
Community Read-A-Thon Kick Off – Saturday, February 10th, 2018 – Penrose Library – 3:00 pm-5:00 pm (Open House style)
The event will end with a live event on Saturday, February 24th, 2018 as well! This event will be held at 3T Karate which is located at: 6780 N Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80918. This closing ceremony event will thank everyone for joining in on the event, share more about Pikes Peak Children’s Museum and announce some great prizes to those who participated!!
Yes! There will be incentives for joining this event, reading and finally fundraising!
How To Join the Event?!
- If you haven’t liked our Facebook Page (Thank you if you have!) please do so now to stay up-to-date
- R.S.V.P. to the Facebook Event Page and share the event with everyone you know!!
- Fill out the PARTICIPATION FORM! This form will get you set up individually or as a family if you prefer!! This is MANDATORY so that we are able to track everyone, send you Read-A-Thon specific materials and information and of course, award you prizes if you win!! or you can fill out the form at the Kick Off Event on Saturday, February 10th, 2018!
- Set your goals! For both the amount of reading and the amount you want to fundraise!
- Get Ready…Set…GO!!
How To Fundraise!?
- Each reader or as a “team” or family can fundraise by reaching out to family and friends both in state and out of state. Be sure to set a fundraising goal! We would love to see each reader/family have a goal of at least $100.00. That would be as easy as (4) friends or family who support you at $25.00 a piece!
- Each participant will be provided material to share with potential donors through email, letter or social media communication. So start sharing your fundraiser!!
- You will track donations on the form provided to you. You will be able to collect cash, check (written to Pikes Peak Children’s Museum) or online credit card donation.
- The easiest way to collect a donation is to get a flat donation from a family or friend who supports your reading goals & PPCM! This donation is made whether you reach your goal or not. Another way to collect donation would be for the donor to decide on an amount per minutes read. For example: If you goals is to read all 300 minutes and your donor wanted to provide you .25 cents per minute, that would equal 300 X .25 = $75.00, if you reached your goal. **Just be sure you and your donor are clear on the limit. If your goal is to read 300 minutes and your donor signs up for $.10 cents per minute, but you end up reading 500 minutes, make sure everyone is in understanding whether you will get the $.10 for all 500 minutes or just your goal of 300 minutes. (This is why the first way to collect donations is usually the easiest)
- Collect money and checks in your provided envelope and either bring it to us with your reading logs on Friday, February 23rd (to our office) or mail it to our office: 704 E. Boulder St. Colorado Springs, CO 80903 no later than March 1st, 2018.
- If you are collecting donations from anyone online through a credit card, they will be able to make their donation to you using THIS LINK.
How To Track Reading Minutes?!
- Each reader will be given a reading log. Use this reading log to record all minutes. Be sure to get your parents help if needed.
- Although it is okay to be read to, this only includes specific readathon reading. This does NOT include being read to during school hours. We allow you to track hours of being read to so that all ages can participate! So even for our littlest readers, it is okay for mom, dad or any relative to read to you! In fact, this is great practice for all families!
- All reading logs MUST be turned in by Friday, February 23rd, 2018 so that we can tally all the minutes and have prizes ready for you at the Closing Ceremony event on Saturday, February 24th, 2018!
Any reading logs and/or fundraising logs collected after Friday, February 23rd, will NOT be counted towards 1, 2 & 3rd place prizes. However, you will still be able to claim your USBorne Books “cash” that you earn and if we have prizes left, we will let you choose from them.
So who is ready to get started!? We are so excited and can’t wait for you to join us!
Please be sure to stay connected with the latest updates on our Facebook page and our website!
A special THANK YOU to all the amazing businesses that are participating in this event!
**For every $50.00 you raise, $5.00 will be given to you in USBorne Books cash! This “cash” will allow you to purchase new books for a job well done!!**
Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center – Donating Adult/Child passes
QuadMama Press – Susanne Whited – Author of Little Baby Poot Poot
Zack & Zoey Adventures – Jeff Gonyea
OTHER EVENT PARTICIPANTS
Mountain Country Radio – Thank you for allowing us to do an interview!